Friday Edition - April 13th, 2018
27 Tips from My 27 years as THE Florida Matchmaker
- Practice kindness. The biggest turnoff is a person who walks into a date, room, or party--with a bad attitude. It is imperative that we all practice kindness in life, love, work and play--single or not.
- First impressions matter. I’ve learned that your impression of a person is usually formed in the first 60 seconds! So make sure that your "hello" is a good one...an honest, sincere hello!
- Love begets love. We have a rule in our office: "Only Love is Spoken Here!" Go on a date with this in mind and I guarantee you will probably get a second one!
- Know thyself. The biggest challenge I often witness as a matchmaker is when I have a client who has unrealistic expectations, i.e. a "7" who wants to go for a "10". To clarify--this is not just about looks--it’s about the overall package each of us has to offer--inside and out!
- You can buy love (sort of). Dinners, gifts, cards, flowers, vacations, rings, new outfits, hair salons, weddings…there is no avoiding the "cost" of dating. If you don't invest in you and your social life, you won't progress.
- T.M.E. Rule: Dating is an investment of Time, Money, and Emotion. Any date is an investment of all three. With our pre-screening of members, relationships move along quicker and tend to be a better investment of T.M.E. at Revolution Dating.
- Inner beauty trumps exterior beauty every day of the week. Looks don't mean a thing when it comes to success on The Singles Scene. Exterior beauty might get you in the door, but can you get a second date? Inner beauty rules. (Read #1 again.)
- Believe in yourself. If you don't, no one else will…including your date!
- If you are striking out, look in the mirror and soul search. Matchmaking is a collaboration. Connect, bond, show your good side, listen to feedback, give feedback, cooperate and be open to advice from the pros--we have earned the respect of thousands.
- Exercise! If you don't MOVE, you won't groove in any way in The Singles Scene. So don't be lazy--shake it up shake--even if it's a 15- minute walk a day.
- Don't be quick to reject a man or woman. I have a female client who won't date a man under 6'4". He has to be a blue eyed tri-athlete with a high net worth! High standards are fine, as long as you know that the other person has to like YOU back!
- Men bear the brunt of dating. So ladies, don't abuse this and use them for a free meal! Always be courteous and say thank you!
- Online dating is a risky roll of the dice. You could lose your time, money, and soul (T.M.E.) in the same way people lose themselves in Vegas!
- Always maintain an attitude of gratitude. This applies to your love life and far beyond.
- The 80/20 Rule. If your relationship/date is 80% good and 20% questionable, it’s time to do some serious soul searching. Is this the right fit for you? If you are dating a new person, I advise three dates before you can be sure you are not violating #11.
- The 50:50 Rule. This is about talking, not paying the tab! While dating, keep an eye on your conversation & your listening skills. Take turns. Share the conversation. Don't take it over.
- When you break up, do it with class. Don't break up through an email or text. Be nice!
- Grieving is tough, and everyone has their own timeline. Juniors & seniors are dating after the loss of a spouse, and finding love again in this day and age. Since January 2017, we have had multiple engagements of people who happen to be widows and widowers. It can happen to you too.
- Love over 65 is easier than you think! I am not even intimidated by aging anymore, as I watch my clients have fun well into their 80s. Just last month, we had a wedding of a lovely couple in their 70s.
- Don’t delay real romance in your 30s. Don't wait until you’re 37 or 38 to get serious about your search for a life-long partner. Your thirties will turn into your 40's sooner than you think.
- Cowards never start, winners never quit, and quitters never win. Don't ever quit on love. When you side with fear, you are running from love. This is not smart.
- Join a love movement of some kind. Stand up for something in your life that is GOOD. Be part of the solution to the problems of the world.
- You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. This rings true in and out of my club.
- Connect with others. People who have good relationships and friendships are the happiest people alive. Togetherness is happiness. Our circle is large and our people are awesome. My cup runneth over with love and so do my clients! Everyone has their turn!
- Dating is a journey, not a destination. This rings true even after we find you the right one. There will be highs and there will be lows. Learn from these experiences. Grow with your partner. We are all on a journey...together.
- Life is not a dress rehearsal. Get out there and go after what you want in life and love. It won't come to you. Go get it! #NoGutsNoGlory
- Love is the answer. Don’t be so tough on others or yourself. Together, we can conquer all. #Believe
In my matchmaking anniversary month (April), we always celebrate at our annual Love-Fest Mixer. This year we are holding the party to benefit the ParkLand story. Our grand event will be held at a private venue and if you act now, you may be able to join us too. Come together for a wonderful cause.
On a personal note, I would like to thank you for following "THE Florida Matchmaker" for 27 years! I hope to be helping all of you for another 27 years! It would be my honor.
Much Love & Gratitude, Kelly
#LoveFest2018 #AnniversaryMonth #GiveMore #LoveMore #ParklandStrong #RevolutionDating #TellYourFriends
Kelly Leary, Founder and President of Revolution Dating has a master’s degree in psychology and 27 successful years in the dating industry. A top matchmaker, now known as THE Florida Matchmaker, she has been profiled by ABC News, The Palm Beach Post, PalmBeacher Magazine, The South Florida Business Journal, and numerous other media outlets.